Saturday 22 August 2015

***ZBR Show #8 - NOUVEAU / TERRY GREEN / FOSSIL / NANETTE / WIMP CITY***


On August 19th, 2015 I put on the first show I've done at the newly renamed Doors: Taco Joint & Metal Bar and it went way better than I had anticipated. The sets by Wimp City (hamilton), Fossil (guelph), Nouveau (chicago), Nanette (toronto) and Terry Green (mississauga) were all awesome and the turnout as well as vibe were very encouraging. Below is the review for Zegema Beach Records show #8 and you can watch all 18 videos including the entire Nouveau set right fucking here.

NOUVEAU
Wow. When these guys contacted me to book the show I had already jammed their EP 'Langour' several times and had fallen in love with "River House" so I jumped at the chance to help them out. Turns out they were even better than I had expected. The entrancing swirling of the three instruments together are unique, cavernous, pounding and grooving. Think These Arms Are Snakes meets A Day In Black And White with some throathier yells is a pretty apt description, but that's literally all I got because this band is original-ass shit. They've got a Pittsburgh and Columbus show coming up so definitely go see them if you have the opportunity. They played a slew of new material along with "River Houses" and "Joaquin". I do believe they are recording once returning home. Lastly, the three of them are awesome people that stayed at my place and were top notch house guests - they even did the goddamn dishes! Love you Zach, Michael and Ryan.
Bandcamp
Facebook
buy languor cd here
buy languor cassette here

**********

TERRY GREEN
As per usual the Mississauga boys lit it up to close out the night. I was surprised, impressed and ecstatic that a large group stayed behind on a Wednesday at midnight to watch these young fellas. The band unveiled a new song titled "Rick Rubin" (I think) which was great. Matt's guitar work continues to excel (plus I know he likes La Quiete!) and the song shows continued progression with some neat twists that play heavily on the slow/quiet then fast/loud dynamic. As per usual Adrian as a frontman was both genuine and engaging, and his vocals were screamed to the absolute max. I've also found myself paying even more attention to Adam drumming when they play as he is a very talented guy. They've got a split coming up on ZBR as well!
Bandcamp
Facebook
buy demo cassette here

**********

FOSSIL
Although the band was without their second guitarist AND the fact that the drummer had a broken finger and a cast, this Guelph trio had the crowd moving to the post-everything/screamo with really thick and high vocals. I don't know what it was but I couldn't take my eyes off the bassist when he started swaying ...... They played a house show I help put on last summer and they were good, but they've topped that for sure. I'm really excited to see them play in September on the 15th at Doors: Taco Joint & Metal Bar with Shahman, Blood Pheasant, Harris Hawk, Salem Witches and You, Me & The Machine.
Bandcamp
Facebook
buy trial & error cassette here

**********

NANETTE
This Toronto band is one I've been trying to bring to Hamilton for awhile. The three piece jammed out with some screamy punk/hardcore tunes including a cover of "This Isn't the Tenka-ichi-Bud-Kai" by I Hate Myself which apparently was only recognized by myself. I got to sing along so that was pretty sweet. They informed me that they generally play much tighter but I was digging it, so I'm excited to see them again.
Bandcamp
Facebook

**********

WIMP CITY
The bass heavy romping is really coming together with vocalist Vince. His brash, cathartic howls and growls mix really well the dirty bass (Luther) and thumping drums (Connor). The band is more confident and they had quite a few fans in attendance as well. Really good set and I'm excited to see how they continue to develop.
Bandcamp
Facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment